Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Karolyn's Food Stamp Challenge Experience

I decided to take the Food Stamp Challenge because I’ve been fortunate and never experienced hunger. I must admit, my husband and I will get tried of eating the same thing and often throw away our leftovers but not this week! Yes, I’ve even convinced my husband to take the challenge. Our first step was to check the local grocery store sale ads, cut coupons and make a list and stick to it.

Together we have $42.00 to spend for the week. On this budget, we were not able to purchase our normal organic food items. However, we were able to purchase: eggs, bread, fruit, tuna, peanut butter, carrots, spaghetti, veggies, rice, beans and chicken. Our total bill was $36.00.

I must admit, so far this challenge has not been difficult but it is the freedom of choice to go out to lunch or dinner that has been eye-opening.

No comments: