Friday, September 5, 2008

Mid-point! Horray!

So it's day four for me, which is about halfway through (I'm not good at dividing odd numbers, so I tend to round up or down. Also, on a related note, food deprivation has aggrandized my pre-existing dislike for math). In lieu of writing a meandering stream-of-consciousness post riddled with parenthetical statements (what can I say, I digress a lot), I've decided just to post a running tally of what I've learned so far. So, I give you:

Robyn's Running Tally of What She's Learned Halfway(ish) Through the Food Stamp Challenge

1. I'm more conscious about the fact that I NEED to eat food, as opposed to just wanting to eat. It's more about needing to keep my body fueled instead of satiating a craving. That's definitely a new perspective for me.

2. I tire a lot more easily now. My eating habits lean more towards "constant grazing" rather than eating actual meals. It just works out better for my metabolism. But, since I couldn't afford my usual grazing foods this week, I've had to settle for eating actual meals with maybe a snack or two during the day. I've had wayyyy less energy the last few days.

3. I've realized how much social interation directly involves food. Not like I didn't know this already, but there have been a few instances this week where I've been about to make an offhanded invitation to someone to go to lunch, go get coffee, etc., and had to stop myself. How do you encourage a healthy social life when you can't afford food?

It's been tough to realize exactly how much physical and mental health are inextricably tied and how that tie relies on something as simple as food. All in all, over the last few days I've come to realize how much I've taken food for granted. I've also learned that my willpower against food is nil, but that's a story for another post, I suppose.

No comments: